Skip to main content

Week 7 Story - You'll Find Your Dreams at a Crossroads

It was nearing midnight, and though the moon shone full, it was still dark. Justin walked forward, tentatively, following an old path in the woods. He had heard the legends. The hushed whispers of the folk of the town he grew up in. That there was something that could give him anything he had ever wanted. Something unnatural. He heard the rumors: that you had to bring gifts – an offering of sorts. He had spent the last week meticulously gathering what he needed: a yarrow flower, a cat’s paw, human blood – your own blood.  


You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. It was a phrase well recorded with the town. Every victim of an unsolved murder within the last hundred years in his town had the phrase carved into one of their arms. Granted, there weren’t many of them, but there were enough to make people wonder. The phrase repeated in his mind over and over. He grew nervous.

The Crossroads

Justin stopped. In front of him, the path split. A crossroads, he thought. He was there, though part of him hoped he wasn’t. Anxiously he walked towards the middle. He pulled a small jar out of his backpack. Justin hesitated. He considered again for the millionth time if he actually wanted to go through with this. He did.

Justin pulled out a small gardening tool and made a hole in the earth. He placed the jar into it and covered it back over. Then, he waited. Justin stood up and peered into the forest. He half expected someone to walk out of the trees and greet him. But, then again, he didn’t really know what he expected. He didn’t even know if this would work.

“Poor timing, as per usual.” A voice appeared behind him.

Justin froze. Slowly, he somehow managed to muster the courage to turn to face the voice. In front of him was a tall but slender man. He had dark hair, dark eyes, and was wearing a dark suit. “I’m s-sorry, what?” Justin managed to stammer out.

“I was in the middle of a discussion on the value of – ” the man cut himself off. “Well I suppose that doesn’t matter now. Business is business.”

“Business?” Justin asked?

“You summoned me here, no?” The man now questioning Justin.

“Y-yes.” Justin said, almost under his breath.

“That means were here to do business. What do you want?” The man asked.

“What do I want?” Justin responded confused.

“You’re here because there is something you want. Something you need. And I can give it to you…” The man smiled slyly.

“Anything I want?” Justin asked, now interested.

“Anything.” The man replied.

“What’s the price?” Justin questioned.

“Whats the price?” The man spent a few moments laughing before settling down and icily staring into Justin. "Simple. Your soul."

Justin had to fight back the urge to laugh. He didn’t believe in any god, and he hadn't since he was a child. He had no problem handing over his soul because he didn’t believe they were real. But, he considered for a moment: if this man really could give him anything, then maybe he could actually take his soul.

Growing impatient, the man pressed him, “So, what do you want?”

Justin paused for a moment, he knew what he wanted. He had known what he wanted for a long time. “What I want is…” Justin began with tears starting to well in his eyes, “What I want is for my wife to be cured of cancer. I want her to be able to live the rest of her life without that awful disease. I want her to live… please.”

“Hmmm…” The man paused. “I could give you money, fame, women, men... I could give you power beyond your wildest dreams, the power to make all bow before you... and yet you choose that?”

“I do.” Justin replied, regaining his composure.

“Such a selfless choice… and such wasted potential.” The man scoffed. “But, if that is what you want, that is what you will get.”

The man reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen.

“Sign this, and our little deal will be official.” The man said.

Justin took the pen and paper from his hand. He unfurled the paper. It was a contract. Justin took a few minutes to read it. He found nothing that wasn’t already stated and hoped there wasn't anything that he missed. He signed it. As soon as he had dotted the I in his name, he felt his arm start to burn. He dropped the pen and the contract on the ground as he frantically pulled up his sleeve. On his arm he saw words begin to spell themselves out as they were seemingly being burned into his skin. You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. Then, as soon as they had appeared, they vanished.

“Just a reminder of our little arrangement here.” The man said with a sly smile.

Justin looked up from staring at his arm and the man was gone. Rattled, he made his way home. Within three days he was able to bring his wife home from the hospital for the first time in over 5 months.

Author’s Note
In the original story Indra asks Karna for his armor so that he can give it to his son to protect him. Karna refuses and demands something in return. Indra agrees and gives him a powerful weapon. I replaced Indra with a man looking to help his wife and Karna with a crossroads demon. Instead of a powerful weapon, I replaced the item that Indra gives with the stereotypical object of desire for a crossroads demon.

References

Image Source: Pinterest




Comments

  1. This was a great story, it reminded me of the setup to a Supernatural episode when I first read it. If you ever needed to make an edit to the story, a particular change I noticed would be to offer a trade at the end of the period and offer some sort of supernatural item in exchange for the soul back (to hearken back to the original story), although this is probably the result of watching too much Supernatural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris. Crossroads demons are always awesome story objects. Your changes to the characters and the setting were very well articulated and the whole story flowed very smoothly. The bit with the inscriptions in the arms of the people was a very nice touch and added just the right amount of foreboding. I really enjoyed reading this one and hope you make more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,

    This was a great story. When I read the title, I thought the setting was going to be like the Crossroads restaurant at OU. The way you put a twist to the original story was very creative! There was so much suspense! I liked that you added some dialogue in your narrative. Your story was well written and made it easy to understand what was going on in the story. I kind of felt like I was in the story, watching everything as I read it. It sounded like it was painful to get his soul taken away. I'm glad he didn't die. I thought he was going to be killed after his soul got taken away. I'm curious about what happens now that he no longer has a soul. Is he basically a walking zombie? I look forward to reading more of your stories! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris! I was already intrigued by your story as soon as I read the title. I also like how the first sentence of the story is highlighted in blue. The imagery that you use to describe the scene is very vivid and helps me imagine the scene perfectly. I also like the dialogue that you used which helps offer various sentence structures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey again Chris. I am an avid Supernatural watcher so this title just jumped out at me and sure enough crossroads demon! I thought that you did an awesome job of creating a great spin off story from the original, and of course me being a big Supernatural fan it fit what i love perfectly. Great job and keep up the great work for the second half of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Chris!! Thanks for sharing your story with us. This is one of my favorite stories I’ve read so far!! There is substance and a story that is highly engaging. I am also a fan of your use of imagery and dialogue. This story absolutely leaves me wanting more and I hope you continue this dialogue in your next story! Thanks again. Jessie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hopeful Rocket Scientist

My name is Chris Weigel and I am a senior majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Initially, I came to OU wanting to be a Chemical Engineer. I have always enjoyed chemistry and still do to this day. Often my favorite parts of my classes are those that involve looking at the chemistry behind the mechanics. That being said, I switched to Aerospace because I realized how much I love aircraft and spacecraft. I am a member of the Boomer Rocket Team, an engineering competition team focused on building rockets for competition. Last year I helped build our rocket for the Spaceport America Cup which is an international competition. This was the team's first competition with more than 5 other teams competing. BRT Rocket Launching at Competition Courtesy of BRT Other than building rockets, I am an avid gamer. I probably play more video games than I should, but I'm having fun so I guess I don't really care. I primarily play Overwatch and Dota 2. I play a number of other games as