Skip to main content

Week 10 Story - Love is Thicker Than Blood

Mark raced down the hill side clutching Jessie’s hand as the pair made their way to the docks. They had a boat waiting for them to take them to their new lives. Their families were very much against the two even speaking to each other. The Wilson and Taylor families had been feuding for the last 30 years. All of this because of a stupid cat. Mark thought to himself as shots rang out behind him; impacting the trees as he and Jessie weaved in-between them. Just after the civil war a cat was accidently trampled by a horse.  Nobody even remembers who’s cat it was! Or who even killed it! Mark screamed in his mind, adrenaline pumping.

“I can’t believe your brothers are stupid enough to shoot at me with you right next to me!” Mark said, panting.

“Joseph and Jeremiah never were the brightest.” Jessie replied, nearly giggling if not for how out of breath she was.

“There’s and old barn up ahead. We can maybe lose them there.” Mark suggested.

“Okay. I need to catch my breath anyways.” Jessie responded.

Jessie and Mark ducked into the barn and hid on a platform overlooking the main entrance.

“Please don’t kill them if you don’t have to.” Jessie pleaded.

“I’ll try honey, but they ain't showing me the same kindness.” Mark responded, doing his best to hide both his annoyance at the question and the panic he was feeling at the thought that this might end in a shoot-out.

Colt Peacemaker

Mark readied his revolver. It was his father’s Colt Peacemaker. He stole it the day before in case he would need it. At the moment, it seemed to him that the investment might just pay off. God made them all, Colt made them equal. Mark remembered the famous slogan for the gun he had in his hand. I just hope that Colt is as good at performing miracles.

Joseph and Jeremiah walked into the barn, revolvers in hand. “Come on out Mark! We know you’re in here!” Joseph called out.

“We’re only gonna kill ya!” Jeremiah snickered.

"Jessie, come home with us. We ain't mad at ya. Ma and Pa ain't mad at ya. We just don't want ya to marry one of them scumbag Taylors. Blood is thicker than water, sis!" Joseph pleaded, but it fell on deaf ears. 

“We should just start shooting and check to see if he is behind any of these hay bales.” Joseph suggested.

“Good idea, Joe!” Jeremiah responded.

The two began to fire into the hay bales on the first floor. One, two, three… Mark counted their shots. Twelve. Their last shot, they would have to reload before firing again. Mark knew this was his opening. He stepped out from behind his cover and lined up his shot on the two below him. He fired two shots and hit their revolvers from their hands. The two men looked up, wide-eyed.

“You’re gonna let us go, okay?” Mark said staring the two down. “I don’t want to kill you two, but I will if you come after us. Now leave.” Mark motioned to the door with his revolver.

Joseph and Jeremiah dishearteningly walked out the door. Mark made his way down the ladder and went and grabbed the two revolvers laying on the floor. He emptied them of their spent casing and placed the two guns into his bag. He walked over to Jessie and gave her a firm hug. Smiling, he said, “Looks like we’re home free now.”

“Looks like it.” Jessie said, smiling back at him.

The two made their way out of the barn and to the docks. There they set off down the river, excited for their new lives.

Authors's Note
In the original story Krishna takes Rukmani and runs away with her on her wedding night. Krisha was not allowed to marry her because her brother was against it. Rukmani's brother chased her and Krishna after they ran away. Eventually they caught up to the two and Krishna fought Rukmani's brother. Rukmani requested that Krishna not kill him, so Krishna disarmed Rukmani's brother and tied her up. I decided to rewrite this story to be in a similar setting to the Hatfield McCoy family rivalry.

References







Comments

  1. Hey Chris!
    I got a kick out of reading your story, it was very exciting and I had to keep reading to figure out what was going to happen to Jessie and Mark. I'm glad that they were able to get out of the situation without killing Jessie's brothers, because I'm sure that would've been hard on her. I liked your title too, it was a nice twist from the classic saying. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, the title is a nice change on a familiar saying, and definitely drew me in to reading the story. The Hatfield/McCoy angle definitely comes through in the narrative, so good job on achieving that goal. Your dialect helps create this setting, along with the visual descriptions. A great story, as always, which is why I come back week after week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hopeful Rocket Scientist

My name is Chris Weigel and I am a senior majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Initially, I came to OU wanting to be a Chemical Engineer. I have always enjoyed chemistry and still do to this day. Often my favorite parts of my classes are those that involve looking at the chemistry behind the mechanics. That being said, I switched to Aerospace because I realized how much I love aircraft and spacecraft. I am a member of the Boomer Rocket Team, an engineering competition team focused on building rockets for competition. Last year I helped build our rocket for the Spaceport America Cup which is an international competition. This was the team's first competition with more than 5 other teams competing. BRT Rocket Launching at Competition Courtesy of BRT Other than building rockets, I am an avid gamer. I probably play more video games than I should, but I'm having fun so I guess I don't really care. I primarily play Overwatch and Dota 2. I play a number of other games as

Week 7 Story - You'll Find Your Dreams at a Crossroads

It was nearing midnight, and though the moon shone full, it was still dark. Justin walked forward, tentatively, following an old path in the woods. He had heard the legends. The hushed whispers of the folk of the town he grew up in. That there was something that could give him anything he had ever wanted. Something unnatural. He heard the rumors: that you had to bring gifts – an offering of sorts. He had spent the last week meticulously gathering what he needed: a yarrow flower, a cat’s paw, human blood – your own blood.   You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. It was a phrase well recorded with the town. Every victim of an unsolved murder within the last hundred years in his town had the phrase carved into one of their arms. Granted, there weren’t many of them, but there were enough to make people wonder. The phrase repeated in his mind over and over. He grew nervous. The Crossroads Justin stopped. In front of him, the path split. A crossroads, he thought . He was the