Skip to main content

Famous Last Words - Midterm Results, Capstone, and a Stupid Robot




Midterm grades came back this week and I was very happy with my grades for them. I got a like 94 or 96 on my intro to theater exam. It was nice to be able to not put more than a half hour of studying into an exam and still do so well on it. Having an easy class like this made it much easier for me to focus on my other classes, which probably helped me do so well on the other midterms. I got an 85 on my Robotics Lab exam. That was just above the average. I am actually pretty happy about this one because I did not feel I prepared very well for the exam once I was taking it. I got a 90 on my Space Systems and Mission Design exam. I was very happy with this one as it is the one I put the most time into studying for. The exam felt pretty straightforward, so I was expecting to do alright on it. I was not expecting to do so well on it, however. I am pretty mad at myself, though. I made a really stupid mistake that cost me 5 points. I didn’t keep track of a negative sign and that made me get the wrong answer. So that is, overall, a bummer.

Full system functionality for my capstone project was due this Monday… And we passed! Well, mostly anyways. We got a full pass for the milestone; however, we still don’t have the correct power to the facility we are testing from. Our air compressor is currently unable to be turned on. But, that aside, we have everything else ready to begin testing.

My robotics lab project went incredibly well this week after a frustrating set back. So for this week we had to drive to a colored cube, pick it up, register that it was picked up, and then drive to a bucket and drop it in. We were initially using a camera to detect if we picked up the cube since if it was picked up it would be out of frame of the camera. However, our camera is horrible. It would detect objects of the same color as the cubes even if nothing was in the field of view for some reason. So, after trying for way too long to get that to work, we jumped ship and used an IR sensor to determine if the cube was picked up.


SpongeBob Meme

Comments

  1. That Robotics midterm is a really good score, last year the scores were in the 50s and 60s so that result is something to be proud of. Congratulations on full functionality, that milestone certainly was a stress on DBF and I am sure was the same for you, so getting through it is a massive weight lifted. As far as the camera, on thing to try is to lock the camera on the cube and manually restrict the range until it sees only half, this allows fewer environment readings, although does require re-calibration for every lighting situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hopeful Rocket Scientist

My name is Chris Weigel and I am a senior majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Initially, I came to OU wanting to be a Chemical Engineer. I have always enjoyed chemistry and still do to this day. Often my favorite parts of my classes are those that involve looking at the chemistry behind the mechanics. That being said, I switched to Aerospace because I realized how much I love aircraft and spacecraft. I am a member of the Boomer Rocket Team, an engineering competition team focused on building rockets for competition. Last year I helped build our rocket for the Spaceport America Cup which is an international competition. This was the team's first competition with more than 5 other teams competing. BRT Rocket Launching at Competition Courtesy of BRT Other than building rockets, I am an avid gamer. I probably play more video games than I should, but I'm having fun so I guess I don't really care. I primarily play Overwatch and Dota 2. I play a number of other games as

Week 7 Story - You'll Find Your Dreams at a Crossroads

It was nearing midnight, and though the moon shone full, it was still dark. Justin walked forward, tentatively, following an old path in the woods. He had heard the legends. The hushed whispers of the folk of the town he grew up in. That there was something that could give him anything he had ever wanted. Something unnatural. He heard the rumors: that you had to bring gifts – an offering of sorts. He had spent the last week meticulously gathering what he needed: a yarrow flower, a cat’s paw, human blood – your own blood.   You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. It was a phrase well recorded with the town. Every victim of an unsolved murder within the last hundred years in his town had the phrase carved into one of their arms. Granted, there weren’t many of them, but there were enough to make people wonder. The phrase repeated in his mind over and over. He grew nervous. The Crossroads Justin stopped. In front of him, the path split. A crossroads, he thought . He was the