Skip to main content

Week 12 Famous Last Words - Dungeons and Dragons and a Deck of Cards


Week 2 of my time in my new D&D campaign and things were glorious. We made a lot of progress this week in the campaign. We found another of the objects we needed to complete the main quest and cleaned up some side quests as well. We had a ridiculously long fight against some enemies. Since last week we one turned a boss our DM decided to up the difficulty a little. The fight wasn’t hard it was just long. Only one of our party members dropped below half health, but I think the fight lasted a total of an hour and a half. We had to fight about 12 enemies. Half of them had about 26 health, but the other half had over 50. It took SO long to kill all of them, and that was with me even starting the fight out with a crit on two of the enemies and instantly killing them. The fight was still fun though, it just took forever.

We also had a pretty hilarious encounter. So in our campaign there is a thing called the deck of many things. It shows up in random places, and you can draw cards from it. You have to declare how many cards you are drawing before you start to draw, and each card drawn after has no effect. Each card has a unique effect ranging from leveling up instantly to losing your character’s soul in another plane of existence. So, being smart, myself and two of my party mates decide not to draw from the deck. But our other member was not so smart. She declares that she will draw two cards. The first says that a powerful demon is hunting her and that she will eventually have to fight it. No big deal. We’ve destroyed bosses in the past. The second card is titled “Idiot” and says that you lose 1d4+1 intelligence. So she rolls and naturally rolls a 4. She lost 5 intelligence and now has a negative intelligence modifier. By D&D standards her character can no longer read. Thankfully, however, the card allowed her another draw and this time her card gave her a squire. So she now has two characters she can control. Not the worst outcome, but it could have been better.


Image result for curse of strahd deck of many things
Deck of Many Things

Comments

  1. Hi Chris! Wow, what a cool story! I wish I was playing DND. Sounds like one person tanked all the damage in that fight. What a bro, being the tank. I bet they're the coolest character in your campaign, and did more damage than you against the boss that you guys beat in one turn. Good call not drawing from the deck though; that thing sounds crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story Chris! Gotta love that Deck of Many Things, it can be a doozy. I honestly have to ask what kind of madman you have for a DM that would willingly include that in a campaign. That's the kind of item that destroys parties. He sounds like a crazy idiot. Like seriously, run away. Well, have fun storming the Amber Temple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hopeful Rocket Scientist

My name is Chris Weigel and I am a senior majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Initially, I came to OU wanting to be a Chemical Engineer. I have always enjoyed chemistry and still do to this day. Often my favorite parts of my classes are those that involve looking at the chemistry behind the mechanics. That being said, I switched to Aerospace because I realized how much I love aircraft and spacecraft. I am a member of the Boomer Rocket Team, an engineering competition team focused on building rockets for competition. Last year I helped build our rocket for the Spaceport America Cup which is an international competition. This was the team's first competition with more than 5 other teams competing. BRT Rocket Launching at Competition Courtesy of BRT Other than building rockets, I am an avid gamer. I probably play more video games than I should, but I'm having fun so I guess I don't really care. I primarily play Overwatch and Dota 2. I play a number of other games as

Week 7 Story - You'll Find Your Dreams at a Crossroads

It was nearing midnight, and though the moon shone full, it was still dark. Justin walked forward, tentatively, following an old path in the woods. He had heard the legends. The hushed whispers of the folk of the town he grew up in. That there was something that could give him anything he had ever wanted. Something unnatural. He heard the rumors: that you had to bring gifts – an offering of sorts. He had spent the last week meticulously gathering what he needed: a yarrow flower, a cat’s paw, human blood – your own blood.   You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. It was a phrase well recorded with the town. Every victim of an unsolved murder within the last hundred years in his town had the phrase carved into one of their arms. Granted, there weren’t many of them, but there were enough to make people wonder. The phrase repeated in his mind over and over. He grew nervous. The Crossroads Justin stopped. In front of him, the path split. A crossroads, he thought . He was the