Skip to main content

Week 6 Story - The Challenge

Jun Kai was set to take the throne. In only moments he would become emperor; just as his father before him and his father before him. However, he would first have to go through ritual combat. It was customary that anyone who though that they were more fit to rule would have the opportunity to challenge for the throne. That time was now. 

One by one challengers stepped forward. An expert swordsmen, Jun struck them down with little effort. 

"If there is no one left to challenge, Jun will take his rightful place on the throne" The Elder Shaman proclaimed. 

"I will challenge" a hooded figure said stepping forward. 

"And what is your claim to the throne?" The shaman questioned.

"It is rightfully mine” The figure said removing his hood.

“Shiro!” Jun exclaimed, “But I thought you were –”

“Dead?” The stranger replied, “I thought so too, brother. The throne is mine! And if you want it so badly you will have to try to kill me again!”

Both brothers drew their swords.

“This man is not deserving of the right to rule!” Shiro yelled to the crowd, “My own brother tried to kill me so he could take my place as emperor!”

“Lies!” Jun cried, “But it matters not, the throne is mine and you will not best me today!”

“We shall see, brother!” Shiro said coldly.

Patiently, the two brothers fought. A dance of steel. Each step meticulously planned out seconds in advance. Each strike, parry, and dodge so cleanly executed it seemed rehearsed. As the fight dragged on longer it became a flurry. Both brothers striking out more and more recklessly as they desperately searched for the killing blow.

With a final strike, Shiro knocked his brother down. He held the tip of the blade to his throat.

“Yield.” Shiro said sternly.

“Fine. The throne is yours.” Jun reluctantly responded.

Image result for harakiri movie
Duel Scene from the Movie Harakiri

*Author’s Note
In the actual story, the challenger arrived late to a tournament but still wanted to prove his skill. He and the actual champion did not actually end up fighting. I wanted to add a little bit more grit to the story. Having the tournament instead be a challenge to the throne and actually having the two fight.

References 
PDE Mahabharata

Comments

  1. Chris, the first thing that popped into my head reading this story was Mortal Kombat. The tournament of battle was the main inspiration behind this thought, the cold dance of challenger after challenger fighting then failing. Your plot twist of the brother was inspired, putting more drama and intrigue into the proceedings, rather than the slightly dull story of showing up late. Fighting for the throne also put some actual stakes on this battle, making each battle have true meaning rather than just for pride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-written story, Chris! I enjoyed your take and interpretation of the story. I could picture the story and the battle between the two brothers in my head, which applauds to your ability to write clearly and with detail so great job on that. I enjoyed that the rightful heir to the throne, Shiro, ended up winning against his brother. There was excitement and intensity in the story which kept me engaged in the story. Overall, great job, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again Chris. I think the original story definitely should have had a fight, and I am glad to see that you could make it a good one. This kind of reminded me of the ritual combat from Black panther, even if that isn’t what you were going for. Overall, this was a really good read; keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hopeful Rocket Scientist

My name is Chris Weigel and I am a senior majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Initially, I came to OU wanting to be a Chemical Engineer. I have always enjoyed chemistry and still do to this day. Often my favorite parts of my classes are those that involve looking at the chemistry behind the mechanics. That being said, I switched to Aerospace because I realized how much I love aircraft and spacecraft. I am a member of the Boomer Rocket Team, an engineering competition team focused on building rockets for competition. Last year I helped build our rocket for the Spaceport America Cup which is an international competition. This was the team's first competition with more than 5 other teams competing. BRT Rocket Launching at Competition Courtesy of BRT Other than building rockets, I am an avid gamer. I probably play more video games than I should, but I'm having fun so I guess I don't really care. I primarily play Overwatch and Dota 2. I play a number of other games as

Week 7 Story - You'll Find Your Dreams at a Crossroads

It was nearing midnight, and though the moon shone full, it was still dark. Justin walked forward, tentatively, following an old path in the woods. He had heard the legends. The hushed whispers of the folk of the town he grew up in. That there was something that could give him anything he had ever wanted. Something unnatural. He heard the rumors: that you had to bring gifts – an offering of sorts. He had spent the last week meticulously gathering what he needed: a yarrow flower, a cat’s paw, human blood – your own blood.   You’ll find your dreams at a crossroads. It was a phrase well recorded with the town. Every victim of an unsolved murder within the last hundred years in his town had the phrase carved into one of their arms. Granted, there weren’t many of them, but there were enough to make people wonder. The phrase repeated in his mind over and over. He grew nervous. The Crossroads Justin stopped. In front of him, the path split. A crossroads, he thought . He was the